Pages

.

Cake for Dinner?

Cake and juice for dinner.....or is it?  April fool's!  This is meatloaf, mashed potatoes and jell-o.  I tried a new recipe for meatloaf.  Here's where I found it on allrecipes.com.

The Most Easy and Delish Meatloaf EVER! 
Ingredients 
1 egg
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers (such as RO*TEL®), undrained
1 sleeve buttery round crackers (such as Ritz®), crushed
1 teaspoon onion flakes (optional)
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder, or to taste
1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
Directions 
Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
Beat the egg in a mixing bowl, then add the ground beef, tomatoes, and crushed crackers. Season with onion flakes, garlic powder, seasoned salt, and pepper. Mix until evenly combined. Pack into a 9x5 inch loaf pan. Bake in the preheated oven until no longer pink in the center, about 1 hour. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 160 degrees F (70 degrees C).

I used Tony Chachere seasoned salt. It gave the meatloaf a little kick. I also baked it in two 6 inch round cake pans for 35 minutes. Other than that I followed the recipe.

The Results...
Unfortunately, it wasn't a hit around here. We didn't think it was "the most delish meatloaf ever." I knew my husband wasn't a meatloaf fan, but I wanted to know if the kids would like it. I've never made meatloaf for them. Turns out they aren't meatloaf fans, either. I thought it was okay. I did like the kick that the Ro-Tel and Tony Chachere seasoning gave it. I would give this recipe 3 1/2 out of 5 stars, but I don't plan on making it again since no one else cared for it. If I make meatloaf again I'll try a different recipe next time. There are so many out there. But it was fun to fool the kids. My little 2 yr. old ran to the dinner table screaming "CAAAKE!" She ate all the frosting (mashed potatoes) and left the cake (meatloaf). She does the same thing with real cake, too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment