Pages

.

Swirly Baked Apples

Is this month really half over already?!  I guess it's about time I tried something new.  Swirly Baked Apples from Martha Stewart, let's see what you got...

Ingredients (printable recipe)
1/2 stick unsalted, softened butter (1/4 cup)
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 medium apples (I used Gala) skin peeled in a spiral
Directions
1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Stir together butter, sugar, oats, cinnamon, ginger and salt.  Set aside.
2.  Scoop out the center of each apples with a melon baller, being careful not to go through the bottom; discard cores.  (I used a baby spoon to get all the core out.)  Fill each apple with oat mixture, dividing evenly.  Transfer apples to a 9-inch non-reactive baking dish (I used glass).  Add 1 cup water to the dish to cover bottom of apples by 1/2 inch.  Cover dish with aluminum foil.  Bake until apples are soft, but not mushy, 40-45 minutes.  Serve warm.

Source: Martha Stewart

I misread this recipe when I made the first batch of baked apples.  I thought it said 1/2 cup of butter and I put a whole stick in the bowl, Oops!  They were still tasty, but very buttery.  I made another batch being careful to follow the directions as written.  This is one of those recipes that makes your house smell yummy and brings the kids into the kitchen to ask "what's in the oven?"  We all had to be patient while these cooked and cooled slightly.

The Results...
How 'bout these apples?  My apples didn't turn out as pretty as the ones on Martha's website, but they were still delicious!  These warm, buttery, sweet, cinnamony apples were worth the wait.  Everyone either liked or really liked these apples (3-4 star ratings).  I liked that these were easy to make using ingredients I already have in my cupboards.  Swirly Baked Apples, c'mon over to the Family Favorites list!

No comments:

Post a Comment