Pages

.

Chicken Fajita Pie


We love chicken fajitas and we love pie. Why not combine them into a Chicken Fajita Pie!

Ingredients (printable recipe)
1 (10 inch) flour tortilla (burrito size)
2 cups cooked chicken, diced or shredded
3/4 cup chopped bell pepper (red, yellow, green, orange, whichever you like)
1/3 cup chopped red onion 
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves (I used a mini food processor)
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
freshly ground pepper to taste
cooking spray
Directions
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch pie plate. Press tortilla into prepared pie plate and spray lightly with more cooking spray. Toss chicken, chopped pepper, onion and 1 cup of shredded cheese in a large bowl until combined. Spread filling over tortilla.
2. Whisk eggs, milk, flour, baking powder, salt, pepper and cilantro in bowl until smooth. Slowly pour over filling. Then, sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake until surface is golden brown about 20-25 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve.

Adapted from The Girl Who Ate Everything and Cook's Country

I love that the crust is simply a large tortilla. So easy!
Here's the filling: chicken, chopped bell pepper and onion and cheese
I don't like chopping cilantro leaves. So, I put the leaves into a mini food processor and then added them to the egg, milk, flour mixture. I've used both whole milk and skim milk in this recipe. So, use whatever milk you have. One more tip: put your pie plate on a baking sheet covered with foil before pouring in this runny mixture. Helps if you happen to spill and makes it easier to pull this in and out of the oven. (Wish I hadn't forgot the foil. It makes clean-up so much easier.)
More cheese! Can you really ever have too much cheese?
The Results...
So easy to make!  We liked Chicken Fajita Pie.  My husband and son gave this about 3 stars (out of 5).  They both like their Mexican food spicy and I intentionally made this mild so everyone could enjoy it.  I could spice this up with some chopped jalapeno peppers.  Maybe next time I'll make two pies, one spicy and one mild.

My little girls were happy this was mild and full of cheese.  My 5 yr. old was the biggest fan and ate her entire slice of pie.  She gave this recipe 5 out of 5 stars!

“I’m partying at the Pi Day Pie Party at Crazy for Crust today. Come party with us!”

This recipe is featured at:
On the Menu Monday @ StoneGable
Show & Share Wednesday @ Semi Homemade Mom
Tasty Thursdays @ The Mandatory Mooch

I also share recipes are these linky parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment