Pages

.

Blackberry Pie

Another pie recipe?  Yes, I'm aware that my last post was also a pie.  And I'm aware that the last four posts have all been desserts.  I apologize for not being very diverse lately.  I blame my sweet tooth.  Sometimes, I get distracted by all the yummy dessert recipes I come across.  My reason for another pie is that my husband really wanted a pie.  Not just any pie, but a blackberry pie.  We planted blackberry bushes last year and now our berries are ripe and ready to eat.  I'm turning on the oven for this one and hoping I can turn our blackberries into a delicious pie.

Ingredients (recipe from allrecipes.com)
4 cups fresh blackberries
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
2 tablespoons milk
1/4 cup white sugar
Directions
Combine 3 1/2 cups berries with the sugar and flour. Spoon the mixture into an unbaked pie shell. Spread the remaining 1/2 cup berries on top of the sweetened berries, and cover with the top crust. Seal and crimp the edges. Brush the top crust with milk, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup sugar.
Bake at 425 degree F (220 degrees C) for 15 minutes. Reduce the temperature of the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and bake for an additional 20 to 25 minutes. 

 The harvested berries
 I cheated a little and bought my pie crust.
 The filling with the 1/2 cup of berries on top
 I thought 1/4 cup of sugar was a lot for the top of the pie, but I sprinkled it all on anyway.
This isn't the prettiest pie.  I didn't seal the two crusts together very well.  I baked the pie for 15 minutes at 425 degrees.  Then, it baked for 28 minutes at 375 degrees

The Results...
We let this pie cool for about 2 hours before we cut into it.  It had a good consistency.  It wasn't runny at all.  We ate it with a nice big scoop of vanilla ice cream.  Everyone agreed that it was good.  We decided we would rate it 3 and 3/4 stars.  It's not quite worthy of 4 stars.  This isn't the best blackberry pie we've ever had, but this pie was very easy to make and still "berry" good.  

No comments:

Post a Comment