Pages

.

Peach Chicken Salad

My husband made these rotisserie chickens recently.  They were delicious!  He's the Grill Master at our house.  Not only did he make us a delicious dinner, but I was happy he made extra chicken for leftovers, too.  Leftover chicken always makes the next meal quicker and easier.  For our next meal I'm trying Peach Chicken Salad.  It's certainly different from any salads we've had before: peaches, chicken, cucumber and mint?  How will this all taste together?  I can't quite imagine how the flavors will combine.  I figure this salad will either be a surprising hit or a complete disaster.  I guess I'll just have to make it and see.

Ingredients (recipe from allrecipes.com submitted by Priscilla Gilbert)
3 medium fresh peaches, peeled and
cubed
2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
1 medium cucumber, seeded and
chopped
3 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
MINT VINAIGRETTE:
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup minced fresh mint
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
4 lettuce leaves
Directions
In a large bowl, combine the peaches, chicken, cucumber and onion; set aside. In a blender, combine the vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, mint, salt and pepper; cover and process until smooth. Drizzle over chicken mixture; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Use a slotted spoon to serve on lettuce-lined plates.

 The fresh ingredients
Pouring the vinaigrette over the salad

The Results...
This was definitely NOT a hit at our house, but I wouldn't say it was a complete disaster, either.  First, let's start with the positive.  I was surprised that our little 2 yr. old seemed to like this salad.  She ate all the peaches and chicken on her plate.  She's usually our pickiest eater.  One positive thing our older kids could say about this was that they liked the cucumbers, but only the cucumbers.  Luckily, we had other leftovers in the refrigerator that night since they couldn't eat their salads for dinner.  I ate my entire salad while trying to decide what I thought about it.  I found the combination of flavors interesting: sweet peaches, roasted chicken, fresh cucumber, sweet onion, a tangy and sweet mint dressing.  I couldn't quite decide.  So, I ate the kids' salads, too.  Obviously, I didn't hate it, but I couldn't decide if I really liked it?  My husband was working late, so I saved him some salad to try later.  He tried it the next day.  He only took one bite and asked for a drink to wash the flavor out of his mouth.  I gave him a drink and then...I ate the rest of his salad, too.  I decided that I must like it, since I ended up eating almost all of this salad myself.  Personally, I would give this recipe maybe 3 stars, but the rest of the family said 0 stars.  Sorry, Peach Chicken Salad, you didn't make the cut at our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment