Pages

.

Diet Soda Cake

I saw Hungry Girl on TV today.  She has great tips on how to prepare some of our favorite foods without a lot of calories.  I'm especially interested in her Diet Soda Cake.  I thought, "Really?  Just diet soda and cake mix, that's it?!"  I must try this myself and see how it turns out...

Ingredients
One 18.25-oz. box moist-style cake mix
One 12-oz. can diet soda (or 1 1/2 cups)
*I heard her say you could use club soda, too.  If you don't care for the taste of diet soda or don't want to use artificial sweeteners, this might be a good alternative.
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk thoroughly and transfer to a baking pan sprayed with nonstick spray; bake in the oven until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. (Refer to cake-mix box for pan size and approximate bake time.)
Makes 12 servings
Nutrition
(1 piece, 1/12th of cake): 171 calories, 3.25g fat, 301mg sodium, 34g carbs, <0.5g fiber, 19g sugars, 1.5g protein -- POINTS® value 4*
*Here's a few other lower-calorie cake mix recipes from hungry-girl.com.

I used yellow cake mix and diet cream soda (the Hungry Girl's favorite combo).  I whisked them together and baked the batter in 2--9 inch round pans. for about 25 mins.

The Results...
It did turn out similar to a regular cake, but I didn't think it rose as much as the traditional recipe with eggs.  It was still moist and I noticed just a hint of the 'diet soda flavor' in it.  I tried it with a little fat free Cool Whip and it was pretty good, but I thought it needed a little something more.  Fresh fruit like sliced strawberries or sliced peaches would be delicious with this cake and still keep it low-cal.  I served this to my family with some cherry pie filling and cool whip on top and everyone liked it.  Of course the pie filling added extra calories and isn't as healthy as fresh fruit, but that's what I had on hand.  Next time I make this I will have some fresh fruit ready to go with it.  I guess you can cut calories and fat and still have your cake, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment