Pages

.

Nacho Pizzas


This is Na--cho ordinary pizza.  (Sorry I couldn't resist.)  I made Nacho Pizzas twice last week because my family just loved them!  They are basically nachos, but in pizza form.

I found this recipe while I was searching for heart healthy recipes.  Nacho Pizza doesn't sound healthy, but it's full of good stuff for you like veggies and beans.  The crust is a corn tortilla that is brushed lightly with olive oil and baked until crispy in the oven. 

Easy, delicious, healthy and kids love it!  What more could you want?

Ingredients (printable recipe)
4 (6 inch) corn tortillas*
4 teaspoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped OR a sweet pepper seeded and chopped
1 clove garlic, minced ( I use a garlic press)
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup chopped seeded tomato
4 ounces or 1 cup shredded cheese---cheddar, monterey jack, mozzarella (I used a shredded Mexican blend) whatever you like
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
---You could also add some cooked, seasoned chicken or ground beef if you like.
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place tortillas on an ungreased baking sheet. Lightly brush tortillas on both sides with 1 teaspoon of the oil. Bake about 3 minutes on each side until lightly browned and crisp.

2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook onion, pepper and garlic in the remaining 3 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat until onion is tender. Stir in black beans and tomato; heat through.

3. Sprinkle tortillas with half of the cheese. Spoon bean mixture over cheese. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake about 4 minutes or until cheese melts. Sprinkle with cilantro. 
Makes 4 servings.

*If you prefer, substitute purchased tostada shells for the corn tortillas. Reduce oil amount to 3 teaspoons and omit step 1.

Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens

1 teaspoon of olive oil was just enough to lightly brush each side of the corn tortillas. They baked up nice and crispy.
We love cheese!
I divided the mixture evenly between the corn tortillas. There were plenty of veggies and beans for each one.
More cheese!
My husband and I love cilantro, but the kids don't. I didn't sprinkle any on theirs. More for us!
The Results...
You already know that we loved eating these little Nacho Pizzas.  They are fun to make, too.  My 8 yr. old daughter helped me put these together.  She brushed the tortillas with oil, sprinkled cheese and scooped on the toppings.  I like it when the kids can help me in the kitchen! 

My only problem was that I didn't make enough.  There are 6 of us, so I doubled the recipe and made 8 pizzas, but those were gobbled right up!  The second time I made these I tripled the recipe and made 12 pizzas.  That was just the right amount for us.

This is a great vegetarian meal as is, but my family suggested we try them next time with some meat.  Cooked, seasoned chicken or ground beef would taste great on top, too.  You could also garnish these little pizzas with your favorite nacho toppings like sour cream, salsa, guacamole, etc...

Have fun and Enjoy!

I share recipes at these linky parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment