Pages

.

Cherry Clafouti

"What's a Cherry Clafouti (kla-foo-tee)?"  My daughter asked this question while I was in the kitchen whipping this up.  I had never heard of a clafouti, either---until I found this recipe.  Basically, a clafouti is a rustic French country dessert from the Limousin region.  It is custard-like and baked with fruit.  Traditionally, a clafouti is baked with whole cherries because it is believed that the pits add an "almond-like" flavor to the dessert.

I sliced the cherries in half and removed the pits to make this easier to eat.  I didn't want the kids choking on cherry pits.  This whips up in no time once the cherries are ready.  The hardest part of this recipe is waiting for it to bake and cool before eating a slice. 

Ingredients (printable recipe)
2 1/2 cups (about 1 pound) sweet cherries
1 1/4 cups milk (I used whole)
1/4 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling 
3 large eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract 
1/2 cup sifted all-purpose flour
Pinch salt
Powdered sugar, for sprinkling
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter the bottom and sides of an 8 or 9-inch round or oval gratin dish or pie pan.

2. Rinse, stem and slice cherries in half, remove pits.

3. In a blender or food processor, combine the milk, sugar, eggs, vanilla, salt, flour. Process until blended and smooth, no longer.

4. Place the cherries in the buttered dish. Pour the batter over the cherries. Sprinkle the top with sugar.

5. Bake until the edges are dark golden and a toothpick inserted in the center emerges clean, usually 45 to 55 minutes. The clafouti will fall when it comes out of the oven; cool on a wire rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve lukewarm.

Adapted from The Novice Housewife



The Results
Did we think this was a tasty clafouti?  No, we didn't.  My daughter that was in the kitchen with me ate the first slice and said, "ewww!"  That's never a good sign.  She couldn't even finish her slice.  My husband didn't finish his slice, either.  I shared a slice with the baby.  I thought it was OK and baby seemed to like the custardy part, but not the cherries.  After seeing the disgust of the others my 4 yr. old refused to even try a piece.

Since I have very little experience with making a clafouti, I wouldn't judge all clafoutis based on this one.  If I get a chance I would try a traditional clafouti made by someone who is familiar with this dessert.  But, I won't be making this recipe again for my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment