Pages

.

Smothered Pork Chops

We eat a lot of chicken and ground beef dishes during the week.  I really wanted to try something different.  I decided to cook pork chops for a change.  We rarely have pork chops for dinner, because my husband doesn't care much for them.

I picked this pork chop recipe because it has great reviews over at Foodnetwork.com.  It also uses simple ingredients that I already have in my kitchen.  Plus, it's a recipe from Tyler Florence.  His recipes usual don't disappoint.  Will Smothered Pork Chops turn my husband into a pork chop fan?  

Ingredients (printable recipe)
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 pork chops, 3/4-inch thick, bone-in
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup buttermilk 
Direction
Put the flour in a shallow platter and add the onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne, salt, and pepper; mix with a fork to distribute evenly. Dredge them in the seasoned flour; shaking off the excess. 

Heat a large saute pan or cast iron skillet over medium heat and coat with the oil. When the oil is nice and hot, lay the pork chops in the pan in a single layer and fry for 3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove the pork chops from the pan and add a little sprinkle of seasoned flour to the pan drippings. Mix the flour into the fat to dissolve and then pour in the chicken broth in. Let the liquid cook down for 5 minutes to reduce and thicken slightly. Stir in the buttermilk to make a creamy gravy and return the pork chops to the pan, covering them with the sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes until the pork is cooked through. Season with salt and pepper.


The Results...
I liked that this recipe came together pretty quickly.  Start to finish, this only took about 30 minutes to get to the table.  Great for a weeknight meal or whenever I don't have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen.

So, what did everyone think, especially my husband?  My husband ate two pork chops!  He really liked them.  I'm slowly changing his mind about pork chops.  The pork chops turned out tender and moist with a delicious gravy.  We are all fans of this recipe.  I'm keeping Smothered Pork Chops in my dinner rotation.

This recipe is featured at Foodie Friends Friday for most clicks AND at The Weekend Potluck!
Foodie Friends Friday
This recipe is shared at:

I also share recipes at these linky parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment